Flat washboard abs are the dream for many fitness fanatic, but achieving this state is something that involves a lot of hard work and dedication. Many people have the misconception that strenuous exercise and healthy eating for a few weeks will result in flat abs, but the truth is that this state can only be reached after years of work and an overall healthy lifestyle. Simply cutting out junk food for a few months and working out will only lead to a temporary situation, and the flat abs will inevitably disappear once the individual reverts back to his original habits.
Healthy lifestyle habits need to be acquired over time, and this is not something that can be taught overnight. You may have heard many fitness experts giving you the “secret” to a flat belly and six-pack abs, but the simple truth is that there is no substitute for intense workouts and eating the right kind of food for a prolonged period of time.
Table of Contents
Top 3 Flat Belly Tips
The tips mentioned here may not work successfully for every single person, as it all depends on the kind of life that the individual leads. Some of you may focus on one certain tip mentioned here and ignore the others, so the results will undoubtedly be different for everyone. Moreover, everyone’s body type and physical composition is also different, so different factors will certainly have different effects. These are generalized tips that you may have heard before, but the importance of each and every one of them should not be underestimated.
#1: Exercise Regularly
This goes without saying. You cannot get a flat belly and strong abs without performing exercises that strengthen the area. The primary focus should be to carry out several cardiovascular exercises like swimming, running, cycling, etc. so that excess fat can be lost. This should then be complemented by several abdominal exercises that can be performed at home itself, or even at a gym with the help of free weights. There are several machines that are used in gyms as well, that focus solely on strengthening the complete abdominal muscle group of an individual. Without the right kind of exercise performed intensely, a flat belly will remain an unachievable dream.
#2: Eat Right
This is also something that you have heard of before. The sad truth is that not many people follow this advice, and this ultimately makes all the difference. No matter how much you exercise, you will not get a flat belly if you do not stay off the junk food and eat unhealthy food items. The best bet is to include plenty of fruits and vegetables in your flat belly diet, get lots of proteins and carbohydrates as well, avoid oily food, and avoid beer and excessive consumption of alcohol. Also, do not eat your food too fast, eat 3 – 5 small meals a day rather than 3 big meals, supplement the meals with around 8 glasses of water a day, and stick to a well-thought-out plan that works towards achieving a flat belly.
#3: Get Adequate Sleep
The human body is a phenomenal machine, and the majority of muscle building and energy creation takes place when the person is asleep. Not many people believe that getting enough sleep is one of the effective flat belly tips, but the fact of the matter is that it is. They say that one should sleep for around 8 hours a day to lead a healthy life, but if you feel that your body needs more sleep, then you should not deprive yourself. Lack of sleep will lead to fatigue, mental exhaustion, and stress, and this will lead to less exercise, unhealthy eating habits, and inevitably, obesity.
Along with these major tips on how to lose belly fat and get a flat stomach, here are some more secrets and pointers that you should keep in mind.
- Increasing your rate of metabolism will undoubtedly help in achieving your aim of a flat belly, so you must eat food items that are known to improve metabolism. Indulging in spicy food once in a while will also help in this process.
- The number of calories that you consume in a meal should decrease as the day progresses, so your dinner should be the lightest meal of the day.
- Avoid products that contain lots of sugar. This includes items like chewing gum, chocolates, and carbonated drinks. You should also try to avoid taking too much sugar in your coffee or tea.
- Change your workout regime and exercise pattern every couple of weeks. Sticking to the same exercises for months will cause them to be ineffective.
- Try to avoid living a sedentary lifestyle. Undertake physical activities as often as you can, and this includes taking walks, using the stairs, and maybe walking to the TV every time you wish to change the channel.
- Stay committed to your plan, but treat yourself to some indulgences once in a while. If you deprive yourself of everything your body craves, the chances of reverting back to old habits are higher. The key is moderation and this should always be remembered.
With these flat belly tips in mind, you can hopefully achieve the six pack abs that you have been craving. With the right amount of work and a focus on small details, this goal is certainly not out of your reach. All you need is the right attitude and sincere dedication, and knowledge of what you should and should not be doing.
Tiffany is a Medical Student and also works as a fitness coach in part-time. She is also a writer and writes on health and fitness articles. Tiffany loves to engage with users and help them provide various useful information on General Health. She provides researched-based information and also featured on various blogs and magazines.